Get place coordinate from iphone Google Maps
In one of my previous post, I shared how to obtain coordinate (North/South, East, West) from Google Maps on web browser. This time I will show how to do same thing but using Google Maps in iphone. This is particularly important when you require to go to some unknown, unfamiliar place while you are away from office computer or personal laptop. Especially important for Malaysian users as even if you have the best GPS navigation device, due to poor address system in Malaysia (UMNO/BN punya pasal la), you can not rely on “Search using Address” function. Those in UK, Europe or other developed country including Singapore, you can reach anywhere in those country provided that you know the place’s post/zip code or street name.
The idea of this tip is to get coordinate from iphone Google Maps and then enter the coordinate in your GARMIN, Tom-Tom (I learnt from low yat forum that it will be available in Malaysia at much cheaper price than GARMIN) so that you can reach your destination hassle free afterward.
Follow the steps:
1. Go to iphone Google Maps. To get your destination, you may type to search your friend/office “Taman, Dewan,” etc. Or, if the place of your interest is not searchable, you may browse the map by first search the nearest city or any other popular landmark.
2. Press and hold the exact place on the map. This will create a “Dropped Pin” or pin bearing the name of the place. Refer to my picture below.
3. Press the “>” symbol on the right side of the dropped pin.
4. Press the “Share Location”
5. Choose sharing method, either Email or MMS. Email will be much faster. Use email address that you can access from your iphone (Gmail, Exchange, etc). Remember, in this method you will get your coordinate from your email.
6. After you send the email, go to your Email application to find the email sent from Google Maps.
7. Open the email and click the “Dropped Pin.” Your iphone will bring you back to Google Maps and this time on the search bar, will indicate the location and display the coordinate e.g. 3.11111, 101.33344. This actually mean East (E) 3.1111, North (N) 101.33344.
8. Now you can use the coordinate to use in your GARMIN or any other GPS navigation device. Make sure you preset the coordinate format in your GPS device to follow the format given by Google Maps which is in E XX.XXXXX, N YY.YYYYY. If not you will have trouble to convert to minute/second. More tedious. Good luck…
2 Comments »