Garmin release Mobile XT version 5!
I am a regular user of Garmin Mobile XT which is a GPS application meant for non-Garmin GPS hardware e.g. for Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian and Palm.
Garmin just release the new version for Mobile XT (version 5). The release, which is available here in the Garmin support site, offers the following benefits over version 4…
- Update the look and feel of the Garmin Mobile XT application.
- Add Google Local Search.
- Add Panaramio photos-get to see pictures geotagged to your nearest location.
- Add Flight Status- you can check all flight schedule (departure and arrival) for your nearest airport. In fact virtually all airports in the world!
- Add Speed Limit display to the View Map.
- Add ability to install and display custom vehicle icons.
- Modify ‘Peerpoints’ feature name to ‘Location Message’.
- Where I am function-give you easier access to know your coordinates, the nearest junction of main roads, nearest hospital, police station and petrol stations.
…as well as a bunch of significant fixes / tweaks.
As for me, Mobile XT’s strengths have always been it’s excellent routing engine, great POI database and supplementary information and most of all it’s competitive price! In version 4 I felt this was at the expense of a UI that looked somewhat dated, but with version 5 adopting a Nuvi-like look and feel, hopefully this will be overcome!
Here are some screen shots:
14 Comments »